【Requested by B-016】
The fact I like about Diao Ye Zong‘s songs is that you can always recognize them just by listening to them. It’s one of the few circles that cares the most about the instrument section, being always flawless. 流石ＲＤさん！
About this song, there are lots of parts which are in classical / not-so-modern japanese, I’ve studied it a bit so I hope I didn’t screw them up that much.
But man, this song was long. It may be the longest post on foreground noises by far. [2017 edit: probably not even in the top 10]
I found the lyrics for this song good but… kinda silly? I mean, it’s great it’s all about Unzan and Ichirin, but it’s like… not the type of lyrics I like the most. But I find it really clever, to have a song which tells the characters’ background story. Yeah, this song is basically “how Ichirin met Unzan and how they become a pair”. There you go!
sono mi no take yama no gotoku
kumo sae tsuranuku hodo no oootoko to shite kikoeta
His body height is the same as a mountain
It’s said he’s the giant man who can even pierce through clouds!
sore wa kokoro no yowaki mono ni wa
keshite mitsumeru koto sae mo kanawanai ayakashi
He’s the shapeshifting being that can’t be rivaled
And can’t be seen by those with a weak spirit!
osorubeki jidai oyaji!
He’s the terrifying traditional old man!
sono uwasa no tashika naraba to
ikutabi mo arawarete wa hitori mata hitori to tagae
And if that rumor turns out to be true,
He’ll appear more and more often, changing his shape one by one
sonna sugata ni sae obieru mono
ikura ita to te tsuyoki mono to wa yoberu koto naku
And those who were terrified by his figure
No matter if they met him, they’ll never be called brave-hearted
iru naraba tsuyoki mono – kokoro ni kumo hitotsu kageranu mono
-sore ka goutan gouhou gou ni shite obienu mono
If there’s someone strong – someone who hasn’t a single cloud drifing in his heart…
– Or which can make courage and honesty his strenght and show no fear…
saredo – imada kage mo mizu
Even so – he’ll may still not see that shade
ikutabi mo nanjakumono o hofutte mo
jidai oyaji wa mitasarezu
No matter how many weak-willed people he’ll defeat,
The traditional old man won’t be satisfied!
itsu shika omoi egaku sugata
tsuwamono ya wa itsu kuru
A figure that, before one knows,
Imagines strong men to come face it one day
imi naki sesshou o kasanete wa
shitsui ni kureru hibi
Living his days in disappointment
Piling up countless pointless killings…
ware ma ni tsuyoki mono o
motomete wa kaze makase
I’ll entrust this true longing
For someone strong to the wind
sono yukue wa asu yuku kumo no saki
Those wereabouts are just before the clouds heading towards tomorrow
soshite mata kureyuku sora no shita
utsuro ni kage o yurashite tatazumu ayakashi no areba
And then again under the setting sky, if that being
Will be standing there, making a shadow sway into the void…
koko ni ashi o narashite sono kage o
wa ga michi yori doke to bakari ni fumu mono ga kuru
And if that shadow’s steps will resound here,
I’ll move away from this road so someone who dare to step it will come
miru ni haikarana shoujo!
What I see is a stylish girl!
sono uwasa ni nadakakereba
sono sugata o hitome mite wa nigekaeranu mono no naku
No one who took that rumor for real
Could go back home after looking just once at that figure
shikaru ni sono osanasa no nokoru kao ni
futeki na emi sae tatae ayumi tomeru koto nashi
Scolding over that face which still show glimpses of immaturity
While she shows an intrepid smile she kept walking without stopping
sono hitomi rin to shite – nannimo kussanu futoufukutsu sa
– ono ga tsuyosa o utagawazu ikiru sono me no iro
With cold eyes – with an absolutely unbending indomitableness
– I won’t doubt that strenght living in your eyes’ color!
maru de – osore o shiranu mono
She’s really – someone who doesn’t know fear
sore wa keshite itsuwari de naku
kayou na tsuyoki mono no aru koto
sore o tooku sagashiteita to
sono sugata rin to shite
There’s no way it is a lie
The fact that such a strong being exist;
He searched for that cold figure
For a long time and far away
“I can see your moves!”
“sono shoutai miyabuttaraba nani mo osoreru koto wa nashi!”
“I don’t fear anything since I can see through your thoughts!”
“sareba kieyo mikoshi nyuudou, sono akuji kore made yo!”
“Go away! Vanish! Oh Nyuudou who sees through anything, your evil deeds will face an end right now!”
egao sae misenagara mo
kizen to tsugeru sono koe ni
Her voice was ringing with resolution
As she was showing off her smile
jidai oyaji mo egao sae
ukabeteita koto ka
And has a smile appeared bright
On the traditional old man’s face too?
kokoro no tsuyoki mono
osore o shiranu mono
A strong one,
One with a strong heart,
One who doesn’t know fear
soshite sore ni tsukishitagau ga jidai oyaji no negai
And the choice to follow her was the Traditional Old Man’s wish
mamori mamorare te o tori au kage futatsu
kumoi ni saku ichirin no hana
Two shadows holding their hands, protecting each other
Like a single-petaled flower blooming in the sky
– In the translation: he = Unzan, she = Ichirin
– 化妖 on the second stanza is read as “ayakashi”, which is a term pretty similar to “youkai”. In this song is wrote with the kanji for “transforming” (化) and “being” (妖), so it’s more likely refering to Unzan.
– “weak spirit” in the second stanza could be “weak heart” too. What I wanted it to mean is basically “those without a strong will”.
– 入道 on… which stanza was it? There are way too much. Anyway, 入道 should be read as “nyuudou” (priest), but here it’s read as “ayakashi” again. It’s again a reference to Unzan.
– In this song, Unzan is also refered to the “Traditional Old Man” and Ichirin to the “Stylish Girl”. I’ve left this two terms with this translation, being the “”””official”””” english one.
– I’ve left “nyuudou” instead of “priest” in the translation, because is also the youkai-race of Unzan. Is Ichirin which is saying that, lastly, to him.
– On the second to last stanza, 本懐 (honkai) is read as “negai” (wish).
– On the last stanza there’s an interesting part. “雲居に咲く一輪の花” (a single-petaled flower blossomed in the sky) features “kumoi” (雲居, which could be both another type of writing 雲井, which means “sky” or another way to express 雲間, “kumoma”, in other words the space between the clouds) and “ichirin” (一輪, which is another way to read the kanji for “wa” 輪 that, when speaking about flowers, means “petal”). Those two terms form the kanjis for Ichirin Kumoi’s name. That’s really clever!
• Title: 心強きもの (kokoro tsuyoki mono) (those with a strong heart)
• Circle: 凋叶棕 (Diao Ye Zong)
• Album: 屠 -Hohuri-
• Vocals: めらみぽっぷ (Meramipop)
• Lyrics: RD-Sounds
• Arrangement: RD-Sounds
• Release Event: C86
• Source: 時代親父とハイカラ少女 (The Traditional Old Man And The Stylish Girl) Unidentified Fantastic Object, Ichirin Kumoi & Unzan’s Theme