How long has it been since the last ABSOLUTE CASTAWAY post?
I told you I’m not leaving them behind.
Music genres are not a limit for this circle.
We already got to listen to their amazing gothic metal track Lost Chapter as well traditional/lyrical songs such as 待宵姫, 慟哭の杜 or とおりゃんせ or pop/rock tracks such as 世界が嫌いなキミへ, and today’s song, 花の咲く場所 -ハナノサクバショ-, is, once again, a completely different genre: Jazz/blues.
I love jazz & blues. Since I play the electric bass it’s one of the first genre I learned its theories and styles, and I grew so attached to it that it still remains, in my opinion, the most amusing genre to play.
Back on track, today’s song is also one of the best japanese jazzy song I ever heard, and that’s not only thanks to the amazing arrange provided by the composers, but mainly because of Nakae Mitsuki‘s vocals.
She tried gothic metal, her voice was perfect for the genre.
She tried traditional japanese folk music, she was perfect for it.
She tried pop / rock music, she was perfect for them.
And now, she’s singing for a jazz/blues song, and guess what? There couldn’t have been a better singer for this.
I love her voice, and that’s part of why I hate the fact that this circle is so unknown between doujin music fans.
They’re so good yet so underrated it makes me go mad.
The only thing I “don’t like” about this song is that voice at the beginning / ending of it.
It would have fit on other songs (mainly japanese styled ones), but not this one. Thank God it can be heard only twice in the whole song.
Also, the instruments are all amazing. The double bass can be heard so clearly it makes me happy. Yeah. Kinda.
Back on the lyrics one second: I couldn’t find a meaning to them, then I read them again. Hint on the last note, but there’s still a question for you.
The title “hana no saku basho”, means “the place where flowers bloom”.
Now, try to read the lyrics and think about them, and try to understand what place is this… [2017/04/23 edit: I have no idea what that means]
yasashii dake de wa imi ga nai
karen’na dake de wa gei ga nai
e ni naru dake de wa tsumaranai
risou no hana wa mi da mitsukarazu
There’s no point in just being gentle,
There’s no art in just being lovely,
It’s so boring to only be pretty as a picture;
The ideal flower is unfinished, yet to be found
yuukoku mikaketa oiran douchuu
kenran goukana higan tayuu
urei o fukunda hohoemi ni
takanaru kodou mune o shimetsukeru
The procession of courtesans I glimpsed at the evening,
A luxurious and gorgeous nirvana of noble souls,
As I smiled to contain my grief
My fast beating heart pulsation presses hard on my chest
yatto mitsuketa unmei no hana
— sugu ni ai ni iku kara
The flower of destiny I’ve finally found
— I’m going to meet it soon
hitoyo hitowa konna chikaku ni iru no ni
koe o kawasu koto sae yurusarenai nante
yowa no haru yo semete suimu no naka de wa
yubi o kasane keieiai toburawan you ni
First night, first encounter; Even if they’re so close to me
I can’t forgive not even the voices blending together;
In the midnight’s spring, at least inside this long dream,
Let me a last keep the memory of the shadows my finger pointed at
futayo futawa konna chikaku ni iru no ni
hada ni fureru koto sae kanawanai nante
naka no natsu yo ima wa shinobe to iu no ka
mune o kogasu koi no yamai ni kusuri nashi
Second night, second encounter; Even if it’s so close to me
I can’t even realize my wish to touch your skin;
Are you concealing yourself right now, in this summer of closeness?
There’s no medicine to help the sickness of a heart burning in love…
[katte ureshii hana ichimon me
makete kuyashii hana ichimon me]
“If I win I’d be happy, throw away one futile flower;
If I lose, I’d be sad, throw away one futile flower”
yatto deaeta unmei no hana
— kimi ni jiyuu o ageru
The flower of destiny I’ve finally got to meet
— I’ll set you free
san’yo sanwa boku no namae o sasameku
urei koe ni ten ni mo noboru kokochi de
kure no aki ni onnagokoro wa nazomeki
te no mai hashi no fumu tokoro o shirazu
Third night, third encounter; whisper my name
As the feeling of your sad voice rises towards the heavens;
In this fall of sunset, the woman’s heart is a mystery
And I don’t know the place where my hands can move, where my feet stay on ground
saigo no yoru kaketa koyubi ga uzuki dasu
kane no kire me ga en no kire me na no ka
fuyu nohara de kimi o touwa ni machi nozomu
kono yo de kanawanu koi nareba…
My cracked little finger is hurting during the last night;
Is the gap filled with gold the gap where we are bound together?
As I wish to wait you eternally in the midst of this winter field
This world could turn into one where love won’t come true…
“–atashi o koko ni utta no daare?”
“—Who did I sell in here..?”
– At the beginning there’s a voice track that it’s not listed in the lyrics, but it’s repeated near the end, in the fourth stanza from the bottom.
– Can’t believe that 運命 (unmei) in the third stanza is read FOR THE FIRST TIME EVER IN HISTORY with its proper reading instead of “sadame”! Let’s throw a party!
– There are lots of parts that I had to translate adding more words in order to keep their meaning. So, this translation (in some parts) is more like a free one than a literal one.
– 暮れの秋に 女心は謎めき (kure no aki ni onnagokoro wa nazomeki) it’s interesting. That’s because it comes from a japanese expression “女心と秋の空”, meaning “a woman’s heart and autumn weather”, which implies how both of those two things are fickle. That’s why it talks out of the blue of a woman heart right after she said “kure no aki”.
– Last stanza (and several other stanzas) talks about money / buying / selling. For what I understood, this song seems to be talking about money and the relationship between money and people’s bounds. And it’s pretty sad but also so true it hurts.
• Title: 花の咲く場所 -ハナノサクバショ- (The place where flowers bloom)
• Circle: ABSOLUTE CASTAWAY
• Album: 謎掛閑店 (Nazokake Kanten)
• Vocals: Nakae Mitsuki
• Lyrics: 黒川うみ (Kurokawa Umi)
• Arrangement: Yuuichirou Tsukagoshi
• Release Event: M3-25
• Source: Original